Why a BSAG Home?
When a home is certified by Build San Antonio Green, it meets a rigorous set of criteria to ensure it is green in all areas. Owning a Build San Antonio Green home means you will enjoy lower utility bills and higher comfort, and a lessened impact on the environment. According to CPS Energy’s figures, the entry-level Build San Antonio Green® home is 40% more efficient than the average San Antonio home.
Because of its unique structure, our program features certified homes in all varieties of neighborhoods, styles, and price points. We have been recognized at the local, state, and national level for its effectiveness.
Get a Green New Home!
To learn how to make your existing home green, go here.
- Find a Builder, Architect, or Remodeler who builds Build San Antonio Green certified homes. We can help you do that! Check out our section on “Who is Building Green” or give us a call.
- Learn about the different options Build San Antonio Green has. Work with your builder to determine your best course for certification
- Have your builder build your home. We will work with them every step of the way to ensure our program requirements are met
- Move in and start enjoying your Build San Antonio Green certified home!
Each level of our New Construction program is designed to meet a specific percentage above code minimum standards.
We have options to help you increase your home’s efficiency and have it officially certified Green! Our Green Retrofit Program is designed to significantly improve existing home performance.
- Find a Builder, Remodeler, Architect, or , or Energy Rater who retrofits Build San Antonio Green certified homes. We can help you do that! Check out the links, our section on “Who is Building Green” or give us a call.
- Learn about different options Build San Antonio Green has. Work with your contractor or energy rater to determine your best course for certification. In many cases, the specific measures employed qualify for rebates.
- Enjoy your home’s increased performance and lower utility bills!
Each level of the Build San Antonio Green Retrofit Program is designed to increase a home’s performance and efficiency by a set percentage.
Greening On Your Own
Ensure a well-insulated, well-sealed home. Seal any cracks, such as around windows, into the attic, baseboards, etc. Additionally, upgrade appliances to ENERGY STAR qualified models. Ensure that HVAC ducts are in good repair and sealed properly. If possible, hire an Energy Rater to identify the biggest potentials for improvement. Many energy conserving improvements qualify for rebates from CPS Energy
For indoor water use, install low-flow aerators on sinks and low-flow shower-heads. Outdoors, use the SAWS Approved Plant List for beautiful landscaping that is drought-tolerant. Take advantage of the rebates and programs that SAWS offers for water conservation. And check out Garden Style SA for helpful gardening tips.
Use low or no-VOC paints, sealants and adhesives. Choose carpeting that is Carpet & Rug Institute Green Label Certified. Install a high-efficiency filter in your HVAC system. Ensure that gas appliances are venting properly and safely.
Home Owner Manuals & Resources